When my eldest (now 4) was a baby, I attended a first aid course run by St John Ambulance.
I remember sitting through the class trying to take everything in, and worrying that I would forget something!
I have regular updates on first aid at work as well, so I was hopeful that it was all sinking in.
I’m very relieved to say that I didn’t forget on Monday.
My youngest (9 months) was happily crawling around on the floor and then suddenly started choking.
Immediately, I picked him up, lay him over my arm and started the back slaps.
It felt like I was doing it forever – but it was only seconds.
My poor little baby didn’t know what was going on!
But in the roof of his mouth I found the culprit.
The corner of a packet of frozen peas!
Such a small piece of plastic created such panic within me.
But despite the complete and utter panic I was feeling, I remembered what to do.
And it worked.
He’s OK (and I’ve just about recovered too!).
Please make sure you are up to speed on your first aid.
If you aren’t – some of these might help…
You can download a handy poster on ‘5 Ways to Save Your Baby’s Life’ from St John Ambulance here.
This advert was also created by them and is very helpful!